There’s a well-known line from George R.R. Martin’s book A Dance With Dragons: “A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies… The man who never reads lives only one.” Truth! With that in mind, here’s 9 Vicarious Lives I’ve lived thanks to books…
- I traveled the galaxy with a towel. (Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy)
- I’ve been a fairy captain of the LEPrecon Unit. (Artemis Fowl)
- I walked with Death during WWII. (The Book Thief)
- I got lost migrating south to find my bat colony. (Silverwing)
- I’ve been in a coma pondering whether I want to live. (If I Stay)
- I attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. (Harry Potter)
- I’ve been a vampire developing a conscience. (Drink, Slay, Love)
- I trained a dragon! (How To Train Your Dragon)
- And I fought side-by-side with the hottest samurai sword-wielding zombie hunter this side of the Mississippi. (Rot & Ruin)
What lives have you vicariously lived through books?
Next Up from Heather… X-RATED: Should YA Books Have a Rating System?
6 thoughts on “Friday Inspirations: V is for Vicariously Living Through Books”
I’ve lived so many lives over the years: solved many mysteries with the masters, been a courtier in kings’ castles and jousted with knights, lived on deserted islands, and sailed the ocean blue. Thank you for reminding me!
Gail visiting for AtoZ
That’s wonderful! Thanks for stopping by, Gail.
What a clever idea! Indeed, we have all lived vicariously through so much more than in actuality. I helped settle and terraform Mars through Kim Stanley Robinson’s trilogy, I accompanied Bilbo on his ring quest in The Hobbit (oh, and further adventures through The Fellowship of the Ring trilogy). I puzzled along in the mystery of Gone Girl. I wondered at what constitutes sentience with The Secret Life of Plants. And so many others! Thanks for a post that got me thinking.
You’re welcome! Thanks for sharing some of the lives you’ve led. 😉
Love this post! Have a great Friday 🙂