Greetings beverage sharing mortals!
This weekend the veil between the realms will shrink precariously thin. May we suggest you pay close attention to the surroundings as we enjoy our hot drinks and treats?
Eek! Is that a shrunken head floating in your tea cup?
*Sigh of relief*
No, it’s just a tea infuser. An error anyone could make on such a menacing day.
Heather and I are co-hosting today’s coffee post; we are both running bereft of time. NaNoWriMo 2015 is hovering over us like a scythe ready to swipe off our heads, and we’re working our fingers to the brittle, white bones finalizing the last details on our project outlines.
Still, we couldn’t let this perfectly gruesome holiday pass without a few
cruel kind words for our bloggy fiends. I mean friends, of course… silly me.
Before we get started, would you care for another witch’s finger? Or perhaps some deep-fried spider. No? Well, more for us!
Recently, we received a blogging award and we have been sadly remiss in addressing it. I suspect we left our brains in the other jar; so frightfully annoying when that happens.
Today we accept the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award from Solveig Werner.
The rules of this blog award are painless: we simply thank the person nominating us. Thank you, Solveig! We would send you some poisonous hemlock in the mail, but customs would surely hold things up for too long, and your poor flowers would arrive… dead.
Next, we must entertain you all with 9 random facts about our existence:
1) Heather and I both own cats. Not black cats, mind you, but the world is an imperfect place.
2) We had horses when we were young girls, mine was a bay, almost the shade of dried blood.
3) We share naturally dark hair. However, there are neon highlights in mine right now, but I’m not sure if I’m keeping it.
4) We cast a wickedly good love spell. We ensnared our soul mates/best friends long ago. My spell came with kids; hers did not.
5) We met each other in the fifth circle of hell, AKA the online critique group.
6) We fight the siren call of the internet, on demand TV and YouTube on a daily basis. Must watch Adult Wednesday Addams, iZombie, Walking Dead, again and again …
7) We enjoy reversed living situations. I was born in a huge city and moved to the country last year. Heather was born in the country and moved to a big city. We would never swap places again. Each of us makes the Evil Eye at where the other person calls home.
8) We love Halloween and enjoy brewing up our own costumes. We also have a tendency to host huge Halloween parties for our ghost and ghoul friends, however neither one of us has time this year. No loitering. Back to the graveyards with you all.
9) We enjoy reading and writing about dark, dismembering characters. Demons, ghosts, a little madness. It’s all good.
Now we would like to nominate 9 fabulous bloggers to
ritually sacrifice share in the fiendish fun.
Things Matter: Hannah Givens. Hannah’s blog is an amusing mix of mostly pop culture. She recently guest posted for us and she will be back with a piece on the writing style of C.S. Lewis very soon. She also runs #queerpop on Twitter. It’s a great place to pose gender questions or share good resources.
Lemon Shark: Sarah Brentyn. Sarah mixes it up nicely on her blog. She features lots of creative writing pieces and also lifestyle posts about being a mom/writer. She is often pretty darn funny.
Eclectic Alli: Allison Gammons. Allison has a very diverse blog and she runs several series, like Passionate Geeks, Top Ten Tuesday, and Celebrate the Small Things. All week she ran a fantastic Halloween party.
Scribbling in the Storage Room: Elizabeth Hein. Elizabeth keeps her blog fun with lots of book reviews. What I like best is when she shares her countless research discoveries. These tidbits always entertain and enlighten.
Daisy Smiley Face: Tara Paray. Tara likes to work hard. She runs this blog, which is devoted to showcasing just how super quirky and hilarious she is, and another more serious blog, which is all about her local art scene. That blog is also under another name, but don’t let that fool you. It’s still Tara.
Phoenix Grey. Phoenix is a bit newer to us then some of the other bloggers. I think we met her through Sara Letourneau, who would be included here too if she didn’t already have this award. Phoenix’s blog is always jam-packed with creative writing, and she never seems to miss a round of Blog Battle or Friday Phrases.
And no blog award collection would be complete without our three favorite Sue blogs:
Rewriting Mary Sue. This crew of bloggers rocks. They are tackling gender stereotypes in literature head on and doing a great job of it. If you write female characters (and who doesn’t?) you need to read this blog.
Doorway Between Worlds: Sue Archer. Sue is our go-to blog for cool, real talk about English grammar and all its faults and foibles. And there are many!!! Sue has a gift for making any homophone confusion into a word party.
Murder Blog: Sue Coletta. If you write crime fiction, Sue is your blog. Cop slang, gun facts and blood spatter patterns, nothing cozy here. I feel it’s best to read Sue’s blog on an empty stomach! She sometimes runs a series of posts on a major crime, looking at it from many angles, and you just can’t stop reading.
And now for your questions, you poor cursed bloggers. We pity you. Not really, your palpable fear amuses us.
Cue maniacal laughter, ravens cawing and other cliché sound track items of gothic significance. In a scary voice we say:
We grant you NO questions! You will embark on this quest with zero help from us!
Call it a gift from the spirits, but we sense you’re the best arbitrator of your own random factoids.
Feel free to beguile and bewitch us with your tales of misery and intrigue.
If We Were Having Coffee is a blog hop inspired and run by the lovely and talented Diana, over at Part Time Monster. Please drop by her place for coffee. You can also see what other bloggers are hosting a coffee party by checking out her hashtag: #WeekendCoffeeShare on Twitter.